Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Thing #14

I had some trouble making Technorati work for me. As at least one other of our blogs mentioned, I found that they layout and options did not seem to match what was shown in the first video. I was able to search and find some things of interest, but I had to poke around a lot to find what I was looking for.

The "popular" lists were interesting, and I can see spending some time there. I will say that many of the current topics and popular stories were not things I was interested in.

The second video's main point seemed to be the Internet and tagging as the great leveler. We no longer need to trust in the authority of some expert to interpret information for us. Anybody can contribute their 2 cents. Interestingly, one of the blogs I searched for on Technorati is written by a friend of mine. He is a regular guy with a great interest in local Houston and Texas politics, and very definite political views. His blog, Off the Kuff, has been around for years, and is so well thought of that when I searched for it, the first three pages (or more- I stopped looking) were references TO the blog by others, not the blog itself. Not in the top 100 yet, but moving up. My friend who writes this blog is not a reporter, nor is he a politician, just an informed and articulate citizen. Power to the People!

No comments:

Post a Comment